The K1 visa is issued for foreign citizens to enter the United States and get married to their U.S. citizen fiance or fiancee. It allows the couple to get married in the US and begin the process of applying for permanent residence or “green card”. If you are interested in learning more about the K1 visa, this blog post will provide a comprehensive overview of the process, the requirements, and the list of supporting documents. We will also discuss the potential risks associated with applying for a K1 visa and the potential pitfalls to avoid. With the right information, you can correctly file the K-1 Fiancé(e) visa application.

Overview: What is a K-1 Visa?

The K1 visa is a type of visa issued by the United States government to foreign fiancés and fiancées of American citizens. This visa allows the foreign national to travel to the US with the purpose of marrying their US citizen partner and applying for permanent residence. In order to be eligible for a K-1 visa, the couple must have met in person at least once in the past two years and have a genuine intention to marry. The foreign national must also meet certain requirements related to their background, health, sponsor’s minimum income requirements, and more.

The K-1 visa process can take anywhere between 12 months to 24 months and requires the foreign national to attend an interview at a US embassy or consulate. Once approved, the visa is valid for a single entry into the US for a period of up to 90 days. During this time, the couple must marry and the foreign national must apply for permanent residence.

If you are an American citizen engaged to a foreign national, the K-1 visa can help you to bring your fiancé or fiancée to the US. However, it is important to understand the requirements and the process involved in order to ensure a successful application.

Who can apply for a K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa?

Only U.S. citizens can sponsor their fiancees for a K-1 visa. Permanent residents cannot file Form I-129F. The couple must have a good faith intent to get married and both parties must be free to remarry. The couple must have met at least once in the last 2 years and extensive proof of in person meeting must be provided to USCIS. Examples of proof of in person meeting can include: personal photographs, airline tickets, hotel reservations, witness affidavits, proof of expenses, proof of engagement ceremony, engagement rings receipts, wedding venue reservation, etc. The K1 visa process can take up to 2 years to complete, so it is important to plan ahead and start the process as soon as possible. 

The First Step: Filing the Petition

Filing for a K1 visa is a multi-step process that requires preparation and paperwork. The first step is to file a Petition for Alien Fiancé (Form I-129F) with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). With the petition, you will need to provide evidence of your relationship, such as photos, letters, and other documents. After the petition is approved, it will be sent to the National Visa Center for processing, and the petitioner must pay the necessary filing fees. 

The Second Step: Applying for a Visa

The second step is to attend an interview at the US embassy or consulate in the foreign national’s home country. U.S. citizen petitioner must also include a signed Form I-134, Declaration of Financial Support, along with their most recent federal tax return, W-2 form and the current employment verification letter.

Second step of K-1 visa processing time can take up to several months. During this time, applicants should be prepared for additional security checks and interviews that may be required. After the application is processed, the foreign national will receive notification of the decision and, if approved, be able to enter the United States.

Required Documentation

When applying for a K1 visa, there are a variety of documents that must be submitted in order to be considered for approval. These include the Intent to Marry, evidence of financial support, passport photos, previous marriage termination documentation (if applicable), birth certificate, police clearance certificate, medical examination results, evidence of relationship, evidence of legal name change, Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form DS-160, and proof of payment for the K1 visa application fee.

Evidence of financial support is also required to prove that the couple is financially capable of supporting themselves and any accompanying family members. Passport photos are necessary to prove the identity of each applicant and must be taken within the last six months. Previous marriage termination documentation must be provided if either of the applicants were previously married. Birth certificates must be provided to prove the identity of the applicant.

Police clearance certificates are also required to prove that the applicants have not been involved in any criminal activity. Medical examination results must be provided to prove that the applicants are free from any contagious diseases. Evidence of a relationship must also be provided to show that the couple has an ongoing relationship and have met in person in the last two years. Evidence of legal name change is necessary if either of the applicants has ever changed their name in the past. Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form DS-160 must be filled out and submitted along with all other documents. 

Additional U.S. Embassy/Consulate-Specific Instructions

Applicants must follow all instructions provided by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate and submit all required documents to ensure their application is complete and accurate. Instructions may vary from Embassy to Embassy, so it’s important to check the specific instructions for the Embassy or Consulate you are applying to. All documents must be submitted in the original language and be accompanied by an English translation. In some cases, the Embassy or Consulate may ask for additional documents or evidence to prove the validity of the relationship between the petitioner and beneficiary. 

For more information on the K1 visa application process, travelers should visit the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs website. Here they will find detailed instructions for applying for a K1 visa, as well as information on any fees and processing times. With the right preparation and guidance, the K1 visa application process can be a successful one.

Medical Examination and Vaccination Requirements

If you are planning to apply for a K1 visa, you will need to provide proof of a medical examination by a designated civil surgeon, which must be completed before your visa interview. The civil surgeon will review your medical history, conduct a physical exam, and test for certain infectious diseases. In addition, you must also provide proof of vaccination for certain diseases, as required by the U.S. government. Vaccination requirements are based on age and gender, and are outlined in the U.S. Department of State’s Foreign Affairs Manual. 

Proof of Income and Form I-134, Declaration of Financial Support

Applying for a K1 visa can be a complex process, and one of the key components of the application is the submission of Form I-134, Declaration of Financial Support and proof of petitioner’s income. These forms demonstrate the financial responsibility of the petitioner (the U.S. citizen) for the visa applicant, and must be completed and signed by both parties.

The evidence of U.S. citizen petitioner’s income can include bank statements, pay stubs, tax returns, W-2 and 1099 forms, and other financial documents. Click here

How Long Will It Take to Get My K Visa?

The process of receiving a K-1 visa can be lengthy. It typically takes a minimum of 14 months for the K1 visa to be processed. This time can vary depending on the processing times of USCIS and theU.S. Department of State that is handling your case.

Once the USCIS office approves your K-1 visa (which usually takes about 12 months), it will be sent to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for the final step in the process. This part of the process can take up to 6 months to complete, as the Embassy or Consulate will need to review the paperwork and issue the K-1 visa. After the visa is issued, your fiancé(e) will have six months to enter the United States.

Adjustment of Status, Working In the United States, and Traveling Outside of the United States

The K-1 visa holder must file for an Adjustment of Status (AOS) within 90 days of arriving in the United States. This includes filing Form I-485, supporting documents, and the applicable filing fee. K-1 visa holders are also eligible to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to legally work in the United States. This includes filing Form I-765 and the applicable filing fee. Additionally, the K-1 visa holder can apply for an Advance Parole document before traveling outside of the United States. This includes filing Form I-131, supporting documents, and the applicable filing fee. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *